With distracted driving already an issue in Louisiana, it’s been compounded by drivers looking at their smartphones recently due to the Pokémon Go release.
Even though a vehicle isn’t the place for players to engage in this game, it’s occurring nonetheless. It’s extremely dangerous for drivers to use their devices when behind the wheel, particularly when it’s a game as engaging as Pokémon Go.
For those who have been injured in an accident as a result of any type of distracted driving, it’s essential to contact an attorney immediately.
When is it safe to play Pokémon go?
The purpose of Pokémon Go is to develop a virtual playground whereby those engaging in the game collect pocket monsters using the GPS on their phones along with other players. The game is not meant for players who are driving.
Distracted driving leads to approximately 5,000 traffic fatalities annually. Because the use of Pokémon Go while behind the wheel is considered distracted driving, this game is best played while on foot. Even then, caution has to be used in order to avoid stepping out in front of a car and other hazards.
How to prevent distracted driving
Because distracted driving is dangerous, it’s critical to be aware of everything happening while you’re behind the wheel. Therefore, it’s important to:
- Use hands-free technology whenever possible, or refrain from using devices altogether
- Store away anything loose or that could become a distraction while driving
- Make sure all necessary adjustments are done before leaving including mirrors, seats, seatbelts and so on
- Pull over on the side of the road when you can safely do so each time something commands your attention to the point you can no longer focus on driving
- Avoid eating or drinking if possible while behind the wheel, unless it’s a quick snack or sip here and there
- Never engage in personal grooming or dressing while driving
- Do not attempt to play a game, watch a movie, or perform any other task on a device while driving
What should you do if you’re injured?
If you’ve been involved in an accident resulting from a distracted driver, it’s imperative that you contact an attorney immediately. In addition to assisting you with organizing a strategy for your case, the attorney will help you obtain the best settlement possible. Lawyers understand how overwhelming these situations are for many, and with that in mind, they’ll help put this behind you as quickly as possible.