Whether you walk out of necessity, for pleasure or both, you put your life at risk when you do. Nothing can convince you of the fragility of life like a narrow escape with a vehicle.
Sadly, too many people in recent years did not get the chance to ponder this or any other matter because they died in pedestrian versus auto accidents. The sharp increase in deaths of those who walk instead of drive could make you think twice about your own safety before you even have a close call.
Protect yourself as best you can
The following advice could help you stay safe while you walk through the streets of Lafayette:
- Keep your eye out for reversing vehicles and brake lights in parking lots.
- Before you step out into the crosswalk, try to make eye contact with drivers to make sure they see you.
- If you walk against the traffic, you might see danger coming your way and get out of its way in time.
- Use a (polite) hand gesture to alert drivers that you are going to cross the street.
- Make sure that all of the vehicles on a multi-lane road see you before you cross. Just because one car stops doesn’t mean the vehicle in the other lane will.
- Resist the urge to be on your phone or listen to music while you walk. You need all of your senses to keep yourself safe.
- If you walk in the dark, carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing. This greatly increases the chances of drivers seeing you despite the lateness of the day.
If you follow these tips, the likelihood of you reaching your destination safely rises dramatically. Perhaps the most important tip is not to trust that drivers will automatically see you and stop. Sadly, it could be up to you to save your own life since drivers may not look out for you as they should. Even so, your diligence does not remove the duty of drivers to pay attention and drive safely.
If you do end up struck by a vehicle, you could suffer serious harm. A hospital stay, physical therapy and other medical care could mean that you will not be able to return to work anytime soon. As the hospital bills pile up, your income could go down. Under these circumstances, you could pursue compensation for your financial losses by filing a personal injury claim.